Crossing Frontiers in Science
38th Max Born Symposium "Crossing Frontiers in Science: a Physicist's Approach" is organized in celebration of Andrzej Pękalski's 80th birthday to honour his contribution to interdisciplinary applications of physics. Andrzej Pękalski was the founder and head of the UNESCO Chair of Interdisciplinary Studies at the University of Wroclaw. He has spent over 50 years of his scientific carrier investigating various types of complex systems (from magnetism, through neural networks and anomalous diffusion, to social and biological systems) and integrating the interdisciplinary scientific community. The subject of this Symposium does therefore reflect Andrzej Pękalski's scientific interests, as well as the main idea he has taught us for years - some problems can be solved only if considered from a wider, interdisciplinary perspective. The Symposium will focus mainly on the theory of phase transitions and critical phenomena, equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical physics and its interdisciplinary applications in social sciences, economy and biology.
- Marcel Ausloos (University of Leicester, UK)
- Michel Droz (Université de Genève, Switzerland)
- Dale Huckaby (Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, USA)
- Joseph Indekeu (KU Leuven, Belgium)
- Ryszard Kutner (University of Warsaw, Poland)
- Paulo Murilo de Oliveira (Universidade Federal da Integração Latino-Americana, Brasil)
- Andrzej Pękalski (University of Wrocław, Poland)
- Ingve Simonsen (Norwegian Univerity of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway)
- Eugene Stanley (Boston University, Boston, USA)
- Dietrich Stauffer (University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany)
- Józef Sznajd (INTiBS PAN, Wrocław, Poland)
- Haim Taitelbaum (Bar-Ilan University, Ramat-Gan, Israel)
Details concerning the program may be found in the booklet of the conference.
|09:00 - 09:40||Opening||M. Ausloos||M. Cebrat & S. Cebrat|
|09:40 - 10:20||A. Pękalski||P.M. de Oliveira||W. Kwaśnicki|
|10:20 - 11:00||M. Droz||H. Taitelbaum||K. Kułakowski
|11:00 - 11:30||Coffee break||Coffee break||Coffee break|
|11:30 - 12:10||J. Sznajd||I. Simonsen||J. Sienkiewicz
|12:10 - 12:50||J. Indekeu||L. Turko
|12:50 - 14:30||Lunch and networking
|Lunch and networking
|14:30 - 14:50||D. Makowiec||R. Kutner|
|14:50 - 15:10||B. Dybiec||R. Kutner (continued)|
|15:10 - 15:30||A. Krawiecki||P. Oświęcimka|
|15:30 - 15:50||P. Garbaczewski||J. Hołyst|
|15:50 - 16:10||C. Mesjasz||D. Grech|
|16:10 - 16:40||Coffee break||Coffee break|
|16:40 - 18:00||Gong and poster
|Gong and poster
Important note: Lunches are not provided by the organizers. There is a decent canteen at the conference venue and plenty of restaurants within 10 minutes walk from the venue. Just zoom in the map below to find them.
Photos by Krzysztof Pawlikowski (blackdragonfly.pl)
The conference will be held at the University of Wrocław, in the Jan Rzewuski Lecture Hall in the building of the Faculty of Physics and Astronomy, located in the city center and within 10-15 minutes walk from the Market Square (Rynek).
Faculty of Physics and Astronomy
University of Wrocław
pl. M. Borna 9
50-204 Wrocław, Poland
In the map below the conference venue is marked with an orange icon.
- registration deadline: Mar 20, 2017
- abstract submission (for talks and posters) end date: Mar 20, 2017
- acceptance notification to authors: Mar 30, 2017
- Check the Wrocław Airport website for direct flights to/from Wrocław. Bus #106 (timetable) runs every 20 minutes to the Central Railway Station, which is ca. 30 minutes walking distance or several tram stops from the conference venue (tram #0P to DMOWSKIEGO or tram #15 to POMORSKA stop). If you prefer to take a taxi, look here for phone numbers and approximate charges.
- For more tram/bus connections within Wrocław you may have a look at this trip planner.
- It is possible to reach Wrocław by train. For instance, there is a 3:30 hour connection to/from Dresden running 3 times a day. For more connections and prices consult the Polish Railways website.
- You may also check the coach line PolskiBus offering international connections to/from Wrocław.
- Campanile Wrocław Stare Miasto - only 4 minutes walking distance from the conference venue.
- Best Western Hotel Prima Wrocław
- Art Hotel
- HP Park Plaza
You will find all of them (and many more) on Booking.com.